Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

COMMENTS AFTER THE HEALTHCARE DECISION #1


At the risk of sounding like Rush Limbaugh, I was right!  As my elder son and maybe one or two other people can attest, I said several months ago that changing the "penalty" that the individual mandate entailed into a "tax" for healthcare from which you would be exempted if you had health insurance for yourself would remove the constitutional question that requiring citizens to buy something raised.  It did surprise me that Chief Justice Roberts did the redefining himself.  But then I was reminded that the money was to be collected by means of your tax return.  And I heard that the administration's brief did include the point that the penalty could be regarded as a tax.  It just wasn't reported much.  So now I'm less surprised.



No comments:

Post a Comment