Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Spring Prospect

The nation in ruins,
mountains and rivers remain.

The city in spring's
deep in grass and trees.

My tears at the passing days
fall as dew from the flowers.

Embittered by separation,
I startle at birdsong.

Beacon fires have blazed
for all these three months.

For a letter from home
I'd give ten thousand in gold.

I've pulled so at my white hair
my hatpin hardly holds.
--Du Fu


Thanks to Joel Lipman, the poet laureate of Lucas County, for the suggestion to separate the couplets. Helps to break up the clunkiness, in English, of always-endstopped lines.



Another Version:


The nation in ruin,
mountains and rivers remain.
The city in spring,
deep in grass and trees.

Lost in wretched times,
weeping over flowers.
Sunk in loneliness,
startling at birdsong.

Beacon fires,
burning for three months.
Family letters,
worth thousands in gold.

I've pulled so at my white hair
that my hatpin barely holds.




No comments:

Post a Comment