Pages

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

TANKA TRANSLATED AS TANKA


Short as a segment
of Naniwa marsh reed,
not even that much

time for us to meet again
on the long passage, is there?
    --Lady Ise





Now out of darkness
onto the path of darkness
Unwilling I go.

Linger to shine on me, moon,
poised at the rim of the hill.
    --Izumi Shikibu





Only for you, lord,
am I out here in spring fields,
pulling early greens,

with snow falling
thick on my sleeves.
  --Emperor Koko




How few the moments
that my gaze has lit upon
the flowers of spring.

How many the months and days
that I have passed without fruit.
--Fujiwara no Okikase




Should we never meet,
and entwine, threads making cord,
now this way, now that,

upon what line shall I string
all the jewels of my life?
--Sakanoe Korenori





Unmistakably
even here, far south in Tsu,
winter's come at last

to my cottage, hidden down
in a blanket of rushes.
--Minamoto no Shigeyuki




Unbearably cold,
sanderlings cried in the wind
across the river

the night I went to see her
whom I loved beyond bearing.
--Tsurayuki

No comments:

Post a Comment