Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wang Wei: My Versions in English


Separation Sickness

Red beans of the longing tree grow 
     there in the south.   
Come the spring, the branches bush out 
     and fill with seeds.   
I hope, friend, that you will pick more 
     and more and more   
of what is the best thing for this illness of ours. 
     

alt:  of what is the simple for this illness of ours.





White stones stick up from Bramble Brook.
Red leaves sparse against a cold sky.
No rain now on the mountain path.
My clothes wet from the high green brush.




PASSING THE TEMPLE OF TEEMING FRAGRANCE
The Temple of Teeming Fragrance
measureless miles in summit clouds.
Ancient forest, a pathless way.
Deep mountains, directionless bell.
Spring water over jagged rocks.
Yellow sun on cool green pines.
Twilight, winding pool.  Quiet sitting
uncoils the poison dragon of the heart.
    

Monks make incense at the Temple of Teeming Fragrance.



DEER FENCE
Empty Mountain.
Seeing no one.
Hearing someone's
echoing voice.
The late day sun
enters again
the deep forest,
shining once more
on the green moss.






In my old age, I want only peace.
The ten thousand things are not my concern.
I've no plan for the rest of my life
but to come back to this, my ancient woods.
Piney wind blows my girdle open.
Mountain moon lights upon the lute I play.
So where's the warp and weft of the world?
Fishermen's songs come far up the inlet.







Wang Wei was a painter as well.                                                                



















No comments:

Post a Comment